16/05/2007

If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution


itziar Okariz "climbing buildings"2003

"bel hook talks about ‘feminist movement’, reactivating the term in a transitive way - as a verb almost - so that it becomes this notion of constant action and a kind of restless criticality ." Connie Butler 2007

If I Can’t Dance… is a rolling curatorial project based on performative practices, which departs from a spirit of open questioning and a long term enquiry with artists. Currently it focuses on the legacies and potentials of feminism(s) in relation to art today. Inspired by the quote of Emma Goldman, “If I can’t dance, I don’t want to be part of your revolution”, the project explores the critical and celebratory implications of this statement in artists’ work.

This edition of If I Can’t Dance… explores how feminist thinking on all levels (social, artistic, political, theoretical, ideological or structural) may be important in our cultural life. The project has explored these tendencies as inquisitively and openly as possible over the last year and a half by repeatedly working with an expanding group of over thirty artists and mounting exhibitions, organising symposia and performance events, and running an on-going reading group.

This May for Festival a/d Werf in Utrecht a new programme of performances by Jutta Koether , Jon Mikel Euba , Itziar Okariz and planningtorock will take place. If I Can’t Dance… will also premiere the newly commissioned film of The Otolith Group , “Otolith II’”, at Casco in Utrecht.

If I Can't Dance... is led by Frederique Bergholtz and Annie Fletcher.
info:
If I can't dance
festival a/d Werf

1 comment:

Art&Tal said...

................LIDO

PENSADO............