31/12/2010

Lee Relvas

I make work about growing kinship structures, both experienced and imagined. These structures are built through the feelings of scarcity and abundance, loneliness and community, that I've felt participating in various and overlapping DIY, feminist, and queer scenes and friendship networks.

I've performed at house shows, basements, warehouses, backyards and other grandly-unofficial venues throughout the US. I've also performed and shown work at Art in General, John Connelly Presents, Dumbo Arts Center, Sculpture Center, and Orchard, all in NYC, Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions, ISpace, Gallery 400, Green Lantern, and the Co-Prosperity Sphere, all in Chicago.

My work has been written about in the New York Times, ArtNews, Journal of Aesthetics and Protest, Proximity Magazine, Chicago Reader, TimeOut Chicago, and New City. I've received grants from the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs, the Critical Fierceness grant, and a sonic artist residency at the Experimental Sound Studio in Chicago.

I spent the last seven very formative years in Chicago and now live in Oakland, California.